An Exhortation to Thanksgiving
- The Scripture: Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness, come before His presence with singing. Know ye that the Lord He is God, it is He that hath made us and not we ourselves. We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise, be thankful unto Him and bless His Name. For the Lord is good, His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endureth to all generations. Psalm 100
- God instructed His ancient people to go to Jerusalem three times a year for worship and thanksgiving.
- The Feast of Passover (our April) to have the Firstfruits of Barley Harvest, Leviticus 23:1-14.
- The Feast of Pentecost (our June) and have the Firstfruits of Wheat Harvest, Leviticus 23:15-22.
- The Feast of Tabernacles (our October) and have the Firstfruits of Wine and Oil, Leviticus 23:23-44.
- This all reminds us that thanksgiving is a constant theme in the Bible. The word and its cognates are used 140 times in the Scripture. One of the five sacrifices in Leviticus was the Peace (Thank) Offering. (Lev. 3:1-5; 7:12-15).
- In 1621 the Pilgrims set aside a day for thanksgiving and such was recognized quite regularly until in 1864 President Lincoln appointed the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day.